If you learn that you have COVID within 5 days after class, we ask that you please notify us so that we can inform participants about possible exposure.
- This event has passed.
September 28, 2022 @ 9:00 am - 11:00 amFree
Fox Haven will offer by-appointment harvest times of chemical-free chestnuts on:
Wednesday, September 22nd from 9 am-11 am
and Thursday, September 23rd from 3-5 pm
Pick-Your-Own: $10 per pound pick your own
You will hull the chestnuts onsite before weighing
What to bring:
Please bring your own basket and GLOVES to collect.
Ideally, exact cash or a check but you can also pay through Paypal.
Be advised: climbing up a ladder will be required for harvest.
How to Harvest:
Our chestnut trees are located in the orchard, walk up the hillside past the big red barn and enter the gate (located on the right-hand side of the fence). Our orchardist will be around to assist.
1. Gather up all of the nuts with open burrs. (You’ll want gloves for this job.)
2. Remove the nuts from the burrs. Discard any with wormholes or other signs of damage.
3. Important step: Promptly store the chestnuts in the freezer for at least 1 day for cooking.
How to Pay:
When you’ve picked to your heart’s content, you’ll want to remove the burs using gloves. Then, please go to the top of the barn for weighing and payment. Inside the barn, you will see the scale and sales book on the table. Turn the scale on with the red button. Tare the purple bin. Dump your chestnuts in the bin to get an accurate weight. Please fill out a sale ticket and pay by cash or check in the jar, or use the donate button online before leaving.
· All class ticket sales are considered a donation to Fox Haven and help us to fulfill our mission. Full refunds (minus a 20% processing fee) will be given to any participant canceling at least 30 days prior to the scheduled class date. Due to the nature of full series commitments, no refunds will be processed once the series has started.
· Enrollment cannot be transferred to another class. If you are within the 30-day cancellation period, it is best to request a refund and sign up for the desired replacement.
About LandBack Tax
Beginning in 2022, Fox Haven will pay $2 from every ticket sale to the Piscataway Land Trust as a LandBack tax for the land Fox Haven inhabits. Land taxes to indigenous nations function similarly to paying rent or a home mortgage. Payments such as a mortgage provide access to living space, whereas LandBack taxes recognize our access to stolen Indigenous land.
The Piscataway Land Trust is a long-term Indigenous-led effort led by the 501(c)(3) Cedarville Band of Piscataway Indians Inc. to restore and rematriate ancestral land and sovereignty in the Chesapeake region to Piscataway and other Chesapeake Indigenous people. To learn more or pay land tax, visit: www.piscatawayindians.com/projects
In the event that inclement weather is predicted ahead of an event, you will receive 48 hours’ notice of cancellation or rescheduling. Otherwise, the event is assumed to be rain or shine. An alternative location may be provided if shelter is needed. We do not offer refunds for postponed events or no-shows. However, if Fox Haven cancels, a full refund will be issued.